I started school in feb 10'and was told I got approved for a stafford loan of the maximum amount of $10,500 with a balance left over that would make payments $120 per month each quarter. I attended the winter and spring semester and didnt plan on attending in the summer. i got a call from a woman named Kelly telling me I needed to drop my summer classes so I wouldnt be charged for the summer semester, when I had dropped I had to go through a very tedious process to make sure I was financially cleared.

I returned to school sept to complete all my paperwork and register and then i find out I owe a balance of more than $5000. when I asked why I had this balance I was told my stafford loans didnt go through and now I owe the school this money to pay for the 4 classes I took. when I asked why my loans werent approved first the answer was very rudley "I dont know". then when I brought someone up there to help me I was told when I dropped the summer to go on vacation my loan had come through and was sent back because I wasnt enrolled at the time and now they cannot get the funds back! I was so upset and they were so insensitive, I asked, how could you let me drop and not tell me that my loans werent processed? and how could it take more than 6 months for a loan to be approved? furthermore how could you let me attend school for 5 months knowing I owed a balance and what did you base your payment plan on?. Thier response was they assumed I would get the funds and its not their fault, once the woman "Freddy Rachenbach" went to her superior to see what they could do she comes back with my loan application stating it was just signed when I returned to school in sept to register for classes and it should have been signed at the time I applied for school. I had no knowledge of this and when I sat down with financial aide in feb I was under the assumption everything was cleared. To make matters worse, when I finally did electronically sign my loan in september the lady let me signed and never even told me that the loan wasnt approved for the classes I took already and would only go towards any future classes i take, I am assuming because they just want the money. there response to everything was, you should have gotten a letter.....

This school is more concerned with getting enrollment so they can collect money rather than doing whats in the best interest of the student, if someone had explained everything to me I would have never had this problem and I am very upset that I am out of credits and now have a bill for $5000.

Had an Experience with The Art Institute?

Comments

Southend-On-Sea, England, United Kingdom #405838

I wish I new the things I know before my son transfered from DeVry to Art Institute of Altanta/Decatuar they lie contradict anything to get money from you when they owe you money they come up with all these professional ways not to give it back to you. I was told my son needed $14,242 to go along with his loans just to carry him from January 2011 to spring March 2012 so a loan of 26,626 was put in as soon as they plus loan came thru quess what they need the whole amount, and have jumped thru hoops to get it any difference was to come back to my husband they put the check in my son`s name. I beleive it was an attempt to scam him out of it I had to contact the director it appeared that he was going to be of help in the end he is no better than the others today I lefted another message I have been waiting on a response since Nov,2011.

Art institute sucks, I was told that If I withdraw from the school for the winter quarter Then i would not owe the school any money, so I took the exit exam to say that I will not be coming back in january 2012,before I withdraw from the school I only took out 400 dollars from student account to purchase what i need.After withdrawing from the college a letter came in the mail january 2012 stating I owe nelnet 16,000 dollars.

This school is a freaking rip off, dont attend art institue.They like to target poor family with low income, so beware and they make you promise and in the end it turns out to be a scam.

It's not just The Art Institutes!

Art Center College of Design in Pasadena California is much worse, with higher costs that put students in debt for $200,000+ after graduating. And of course there's no guarantee that you'll land a job that relates with anything you went to school for. I know, because unfortunately I went there and have since defaulted.

Stop ripping on The Art Institutes - they are way less expensive, and they have several student success stories. Just like any other money sucking college.

You can't tell me that 'non-profit' colleges are any better than 'for profit' colleges, all of them put people in tremendous student loan debt upon graduating. It's the American way!

Im so sorry to hear your story!. Believe me as i am reading there are thousands of students who are in the same boat and we need to do something to bring down the school!! email me and ill give you contacts to other people who fell like you

to Nay Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #683382

can you please give me your email, I am trying to find out how to get a class action lawsuit going or if there is one that I could join in on. stacylouu@gmail.com