I ran into an old friend not to long ago whose brother attended an Art Institute in LA.His brother left after one semester there due to how he was treated in financial aid.

There actual going to make a documentary about it. I thought this might interest some people on here.

There has been a high amount of complaints lately over questionable financial aid practices and mistreatment of students with disability's. So far there are several ex-students and ex-employees that have been willing to come forward. Documentary should be done in the middle of next year.

I met a young man that attended an Art Institute in Texas whose story is one of the most horrible things I have ever heard.I will post more about this if anyone is interested in the next couple months.

Had an Experience with The Art Institute?

Comments

New York City, New York, United States #777871

If Ai was anything close to a decent school they wouldn't be getting sued

by the dept.of justice for $11 billion.

They are crooks who scope out potential

students that come from low income families they knew the students they were

accepting could not afford to pay the high interest loans. The've actually

committed many crimes and think they can get away with victimizing young kids

who come from families with no college background because they know they won't ask questions and its easier to sell "the dream" to them and recruiters made a percentage for every student that joined which is illegal.

Ai's practices are unethical and disgusting.Please read and sign my petition: http://wh.gov/lXy0u

miss Uneek
Old Bridge Township, New Jersey, United States #596017

I attended the Art Institue and was scammed out of 60,000 when i wouldnt keep my mouth shut about what was going on I got kicked out for telling them to do there *** jobs i was one semiter away from graudating my credits are not tranferable NO college will touch ainyc I would be glad to tell my story!

Erin, New York, United States #587117

PLEASE READ

Hello my name is Kayla and I want to go to the Art Institute of York for animation and I need honest answers.I need people to tell me the truth.

Not a representative stuffing *** in my ears. Tell me the good things the bad things everything you can tell me.

PLEASE this is vary vary important .Thank you.

Here is my email: michalyabennett@yahoo.com

to Kayla #590514

I used to work at the "Ai" in Boston, The New England Institute of Art (not to be confused with the prestigious Art Institute of Boston), so please take me seriously when I say "DO NOT ATTEND AN AI BRANCH ANYWHERE!" Students are truly treated as just a number and they didn't even really have any basic requirements - as long as you had a pulse and submitted the necessary paperwork, you were in.Aside from that, a lot of the faculty joked around about how bad the students were and continuously looking for other jobs at "real" colleges or universities.

I now work for a prestigious private college in the northeast, and I would suggest that you take a page out of my book and look at a real art school (SVA, RISD, SCAD, etc. - your guidance counselor can help you further) or a reputable STATE or PRIVATE NOT-FOR-PROFIT college/university. The Art Institutes are a horrible blight on the institution of higher education in this country, so do yourself a favor and stay away. Also, here's a little bit of inside info - EDMC, the Art Institute's publicly-traded parent company, which is 41 percent owned by the Wall Street investment bank Goldman Sachs, engages in predatory practices of the worst kind: deceptive and coercive recruiting, exorbitant prices, high dropout and loan default rates.

The U.S. Justice Department and half a dozen states have even sued EDMC for fraud. They allege that the company pays its recruiters based on the number of students that they...

and I can tell you that is how I got paid in when I was there!!!STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In response to a lot of your comments, in one way or another--I did graduate, with honors, from the Art Institute of Seattle as a Culinary Arts major. While I can honestly say that the instruction I received was top-notch, I cannot say the same about the administration.

First of, yes, they lie about the total cost. When I began, I was given a financial plan that would cost a little over $40K (previous college, transferred out of almost 2 years of the program). I graduated on time according to this plan, and the total bill was over $65K. As well, I paid cash, and was almost dropped out of my last two terms in school because the financial aid department INSISTED I take out unnecessary loans, despite paying the next term's tuition IN FULL over a month before the current quarter was scheduled to end.

Upon graduating, I had secured employment at a local restaurant--regardless, I had requested job placement aid, something that was "guaranteed" me both upon applying and during my exit interview, as well as a service that was repeatedly promised throughout my school career. The woman in charge of career services, named Sertida, did absolutely NOTHING to help me or any of my peers find or secure employment, and despite filling constant complaints with her superiors as to her negligence, we only received responses six months after graduation, when said services expire, informing us that there is nothing anyone can do because the services are not guaranteed beyond...

So to ainyc student, yes, study hard and graduate if you are planning to attend--but be aware that those of us who are pissed aren't just those who dropped out...most of us actually finished, and we're too busy working our *** off in our underpaying jobs to complain like the others. But be aware that AI is, in many ways, a total scam--they serve one purpose and one purpose only, and that's to make money, no matter the cost to others. Your education, should you receive one (and I truly hope you do, as I did), will come only at an extreme price, and I can almost assure you that you will exit the school's system of lying and cheating with more than a chip on your shoulder.

Every time I see or hear the name "The Art Institutes," I am filled with bitterness and a vast range of other emotions, not a single one of them positive.I am a digital filmmaking and video production student with enough time there to be considered a senior, but finishing this term and dropping this place next week.

Why invest so much time only to quit, you ask? Well, it all boils down to most everyone else's answer: FRAUD. They are being exposed and brought into the light more and more with every day that goes by. Start by checking out this PDF document, and then do your own research.

The facts are not difficult to come across, and it's strange that AI or EDMC continues their same practices as if they believe they are doing nothing wrong.

I am done talking.Here is the link.

www.gibsondunn.com/Publications/Documents/EDMC-Complaint.pdf

to Bibendum New York City, New York, United States #777877

Ai's practices are unethical and disgusting. They are being sued by the DOJ for their crimes...Please read and sign my petition: http://wh.gov/lXy0u

Sigh.I'm in this with you guys.

I called just to get information about the "masters" in photography program for the Penn online. High pressure car sales. I was on the phone for the next 7 hours. I tried several times to let this man know, I was practically homeless.

He even called a local manager at a CVS to ask if I could use their fax machine to sign and send documents. I repeatedly told him I had no money. A semester and three weeks into the second semester I had to drop out bc I didnt have the tools I needed foor the drawing course. There is more to the story.

Ill speak for this documentary.Blu.thirst@yahoo.com

Sigh.I'm in this with you guys.

Ill speak for this documentary.Blu.thirst@yahoo.com

itisitis

Please send me more information on the documentary. Thanks. aic@memostop.com