I ran into an old friend not to long ago whose brother attended an Art Institute in LA. His brother left after one semester there due to how he was treated in financial aid.

There actual going to make a documentary about it. I thought this might interest some people on here.

There has been a high amount of complaints lately over questionable financial aid practices and mistreatment of students with disability's. So far there are several ex-students and ex-employees that have been willing to come forward. Documentary should be done in the middle of next year.

I met a young man that attended an Art Institute in Texas whose story is one of the most horrible things I have ever heard. I will post more about this if anyone is interested in the next couple months.

Comments

New York City, New York, United States #777871

If Ai was anything close to a decent school they wouldn't be getting sued

by the dept. of justice for $11 billion.

They are crooks who scope out potential

students that come from low income families they knew the students they were

accepting could not afford to pay the high interest loans. The've actually

committed many crimes and think they can get away with victimizing young kids

Ai's practices are unethical and disgusting. Please read and sign my petition: http://wh.gov/lXy0u

miss Uneek
Old Bridge Township, New Jersey, United States #596017

I attended the Art Institue and was scammed out of 60,000 when i wouldnt keep my mouth shut about what was going on I got kicked out for telling them to do there *** jobs i was one semiter away from graudating my credits are not tranferable NO college will touch ainyc I would be glad to tell my story!

Erin, New York, United States #587117

PLEASE READ

Hello my name is Kayla and I want to go to the Art Institute of York for animation and I need honest answers. I need people to tell me the truth.

Not a representative stuffing *** in my ears. Tell me the good things the bad things everything you can tell me.

PLEASE this is vary vary important . Thank you.

Here is my email: michalyabennett@yahoo.com

to Kayla #590514

I used to work at the "Ai" in Boston, The New England Institute of Art (not to be confused with the prestigious Art Institute of Boston), so please take me seriously when I say "DO NOT ATTEND AN AI BRANCH ANYWHERE!" Students are truly treated as just a number and they didn't even really have any basic requirements - as long as you had a pulse and submitted the necessary paperwork, you were in. Aside from that, a lot of the faculty joked around about how bad the students were and continuously looking for other jobs at "real" colleges or universities.

I now work for a prestigious private college in the northeast, and I would suggest that you take a page out of my book and look at a real art school (SVA, RISD, SCAD, etc. - your guidance counselor can help you further) or a reputable STATE or PRIVATE NOT-FOR-PROFIT college/university. The Art Institutes are a horrible blight on the institution of higher education in this country, so do yourself a favor and stay away. Also, here's a little bit of inside info - EDMC, the Art Institute's publicly-traded parent company, which is 41 percent owned by the Wall Street investment bank Goldman Sachs, engages in predatory practices of the worst kind: deceptive and coercive recruiting, exorbitant prices, high dropout and loan default rates.

The U.S. Justice Department and half a dozen states have even sued EDMC for fraud. They allege that the company pays its recruiters based on the number of students that they individually sign up, which is in violation of federal rules...

and I can tell you that is how I got paid in when I was there!!! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In response to a lot of your comments, in one way or another--I did graduate, with honors, from the Art Institute of Seattle as a Culinary Arts major. While I can honestly say that the instruction I received was top-notch, I cannot say the same about the administration.

First of, yes, they lie about the total cost. When I began, I was given a financial plan that would cost a little over $40K (previous college, transferred out of almost 2 years of the program). I graduated on time according to this plan, and the total bill was over $65K. As well, I paid cash, and was almost dropped out of my last two terms in school because the financial aid department INSISTED I take out unnecessary loans, despite paying the next term's tuition IN FULL over a month before the current quarter was scheduled to end.

Upon graduating, I had secured employment at a local restaurant--regardless, I had requested job placement aid, something that was "guaranteed" me both upon applying and during my exit interview, as well as a service that was repeatedly promised throughout my school career. The woman in charge of career services, named Sertida, did absolutely NOTHING to help me or any of my peers find or secure employment, and despite filling constant complaints with her superiors as to her negligence, we only received responses six months after graduation, when said services expire, informing us that there is nothing anyone can do because the services are not guaranteed beyond those first six months! INCREDIBLE!

So to ainyc student, yes, study hard and graduate if you are planning to attend--but be aware that those of us who are pissed aren't just those who dropped out...most of us actually finished, and we're too busy working our *** off in our underpaying jobs to complain like the others. But be aware that AI is, in many ways, a total scam--they serve one purpose and one purpose only, and that's to make money, no matter the cost to others. Your education, should you receive one (and I truly hope you do, as I did), will come only at an extreme price, and I can almost assure you that you will exit the school's system of lying and cheating with more than a chip on your shoulder.

Every time I see or hear the name "The Art Institutes," I am filled with bitterness and a vast range of other emotions, not a single one of them positive. I am a digital filmmaking and video production student with enough time there to be considered a senior, but finishing this term and dropping this place next week.

Why invest so much time only to quit, you ask? Well, it all boils down to most everyone else's answer: FRAUD. They are being exposed and brought into the light more and more with every day that goes by. Start by checking out this PDF document, and then do your own research.

The facts are not difficult to come across, and it's strange that AI or EDMC continues their same practices as if they believe they are doing nothing wrong.

I am done talking. Here is the link.

www.gibsondunn.com/Publications/Documents/EDMC-Complaint.pdf

to Bibendum New York City, New York, United States #777877

Ai's practices are unethical and disgusting. They are being sued by the DOJ for their crimes...Please read and sign my petition: http://wh.gov/lXy0u

Sigh. I'm in this with you guys.

I called just to get information about the "masters" in photography program for the Penn online. High pressure car sales. I was on the phone for the next 7 hours. I tried several times to let this man know, I was practically homeless.

He even called a local manager at a CVS to ask if I could use their fax machine to sign and send documents. I repeatedly told him I had no money. A semester and three weeks into the second semester I had to drop out bc I didnt have the tools I needed foor the drawing course. There is more to the story.

Ill speak for this documentary. Blu.thirst@yahoo.com

Sigh. I'm in this with you guys.

Ill speak for this documentary. Blu.thirst@yahoo.com

itisitis

Please send me more information on the documentary. Thanks. aic@memostop.com

The ones that are credible don't charge you $486 a credit for a degree that is going to be worthless upon graduation! The same person who was running University of Phoenix is now running the Art Institutes, and that should be he first red flag.

The community college I go to charges only $380 for THREE credits and I can probably get through there just taking out a pell grant each semester. Just ask employers if they would hire somebody that went to an online university like UOP or the AI and they will likely tell you something along the lines that if you were to put that you attended the University of Phoenix on your resume, you wouldn't get hired for the position you applied for. Let's see. If I have a choice between going to a diploma mill school or a school where about 94 percent of the graduates find employment within their field, which one am I going to choose?

I went through the enrollment/admission process at AI and was immediately suspicious at what they were doing, especially when they said that I might win a scholarship to help defray my costs.

NOT! I told them I might as well just buy scratch off lottery tickets from the quickie mart each week and hope that I won one hundred million dollars.

I attended AI of Va Beach from 2010-2011. During the financial aid process, I was told that grants would cover all but 5g and the AI could loan the rest.

Was also told that if I quit and the school was not accredited,I would be fully reimbursed. They are now telling me that the school is accredited thru the Atlanta branch(???) and am being charged with a loan I did not agree to.

My advice to anyone reading this...STAY AWAY FROM THE AI

It's not just The Art Institutes!

Art Center College of Design in Pasadena California is much worse, with higher costs that put students in debt for $200,000+ after graduating. And of course there's no guarantee that you'll land a job that relates with anything you went to school for. I know, because unfortunately I went there and have since defaulted.

Stop ripping on The Art Institutes - they are way less expensive, and they have several student success stories. Just like any other money sucking college.

You can't tell me that 'non-profit' colleges are any better than 'for profit' colleges, all of them put people in tremendous student loan debt upon graduating. It's the American way!

Idk if I should go to this school or not, my tuition says 60,000 and i would have to pay back 13 - 26,000 of it back to the Gov.. I signed up for DFM and after reading all these stories i need help deciding if i am going or not...

my orientation is tomorrow and they want me to go right away!!

so they can get my money. Will this school even transfer credit to another school?

most people who complain about the art institute are just undisciplined "artist" who decided to go to college just to find a girl/boyfriend or meet new friends. what's the point of attending college if you are going to drop-out one year into it.

stick it out and stop complaining about how much housing cost. you got so caught up in the stereotypical dorm college experience that you thought there would be parties and alcohol and good looking people. you should have done more research before you enrolled. i am currently a student and yes i agree it's not the ideal college for me and expensive but i am not going to *** and complain about the costs.

i am going to work hard at my classes and portfolio instead of being social and "networking"(kissing ***). so if you are weak-minded and can't handle the pressures of a fast-paced learning environment, then don't attend AI or any college at that.

to ainyc student New York City, New York, United States #777872

I went to Ai and graduated I busted my *** through school your comment is not only completely wrong it is utterly ignorant...If Ai was anything close to a decent school they wouldn't be getting sued by the dept. of justice for $11 billion.

They are crooks who scope out potential students that come from low income families they knew the students they were accepting could not afford to pay the high interest loans. The've actually committed many crimes and think they can get away with victimizing young kids who come from families with no college background because they know they won't ask questions and its easier to sell "the dream" to them and recruiters made a percentage for every student that joined which is illegal.

There is a federal lawsuit against this organization, which four states are apart of. California is one.

We are on our way to speak to an attorney because of their questionable techniques in recruiting and financial aid. What this school does and how they treat their students (once they "rope" you in) is unethical.

The Art Institutes is just as bad as DeVry or any of the other For Profit schools that exist today. They over charge for housing..

Good god. For the 2 bedroom apartment i was at for a period of time, they had 4 people in there all being charged 3000 dollars every month.

When the actual rent for that apartment at that complex was 1200. It's ridiculous and they need to crumble.

Edge, England, United Kingdom #341776

I graduated in 2010 form the Art Institute at age 20. I now owe $140,000.

Originally I should have owed $98,000 but that was $42,000 in interest that has added on since October 2010. If you need anything for your documentary contact me at ashleyjordandesigns@gmail.com

id like more information on this heres my email: msnayjones08@yahoo.com i hate this school and what its done to so many people just trying to do something with there lives.