The Art Institute of Pittsburgh Scam and help

Issue not resolved

I actually have a class action lawyer that is interested in this. Very interested in this as a matter of fact. He said I need to gather names, email addresses and full letters detailing exactly what transpired.

I wrote him because I was told when I started that coming in with credits for an Associates in Fine Art, that most of my classes would transfer in, and it would only cost me around 50,000. Then when I questioned 50,000 I was told that it would not be an issue because they had an excellent Financial Aid Division, they had scholarships, and the whole thing would be covered. Then they said they had job placement. Did you guys talk to Mark Wilhelm and Orland Pullen and did they give you the same line?

Well four months ago I got a call from Eric Medsger in the Financial Aid office saying that I had no more funds left with FAFSA to pay for school. When I questioned this because of what was said at admission I was told at this point not to worry they had help for students like me. I am an honor student and a good artist. Well September came and I got a bill for tuition. I called Eric back. I asked about the tuition assistance and was told that they had stopped the program the month before. I said well why did you tell me you had one then? I paint with a group of painters and was telling them about it. They got with people they know who were willing to donate some money to help, but they wanted The Art Institute of Pittsburgh to make good on their promise in writing before they would pay anything. I called Eric back and he said the only way that the AI could do that was if I proved I could not get a personal loan, and that I had applied for scholarships. Well that wasn't hard to do because my husband and I live on his Social Security. That is why I went back to school to become the breadwinner because my husband went blind. So when the bank looked at the student loans that AI has sucked out of FAFSA and our income they said no way. Got the denial. Went to the internet and downloaded all the scholarships I had applied for. I sent this to them on September 19th 2012. The next week I got an email for tuition from AI, On 9/22, I called Eric again and asked what was going on with the information and letter I wrote and he said they were working on it. I called again on 9/27 because I got a bill in the mail. I was told they were working on it. I resent the information again just to make sure they had it. On October 12, 2012 I sent Eric an email

asking where they were on it because the people that wanted to help were getting to the point they said they felt the school was being dishonest with me and were seriously urging me to go to a lawyer. I called again on October 18th, October 25th, and November the 1st with no response. Finally on November 6 I got to speak with Eric and he said he had given it to his supervisor because he could not make a decision like that. He said she had been out due to surgery but was in today going through the stuff on desk. He would go tell her my file needed pulled. Well I waited and waited, and waited. The week after Thanksgiving I called and couldn't get an answer so I had to leave a message. No response yet again. Then on Monday of this week December 10, 2012 I called Mrs. Eglar-blisky because clearly the financial aid office was avoiding the calls. I asked for the number for the college president, George W. Sebolt. She said you know I can't do that. You have to follow a chain of command. I was upset and said I have tried that route for three months and it isn't working. She said she would walk over there and talk to the financial aid manager personally. Guess what? No phone call, I have sat home all week and there has been no phone call. They know I have the money if they agree to honor their word, but they have no intention of following their word. What is worse is when I asked Eric what would happen if I could not get the aid when this first came up I was told I would be dropped, and responsible for paying back student loans in six months. These people are liars and criminals. So if you got the same or worse please email me at anrtst@excite.com and tell your story, who you talked to when you signed on, what you were told, and an email address so the lawyer willing to take this case can get back to you.

d6558f2 review #366869
26 Helpful? 40
Had the same issue0 Comments20 Report
Had an experience with The Art Institute?  Submit review about this company

Oct 22

Still hoping to get enough people. Please email your names, numbers, what was said at the time of enrolling, and what you found researching the Department of Ed website. There information is false because AIO's information supplied is false. You think you are going to a good school just to find out in the end it was all for nothing. Terrible injustice to those who do work hard and give it their all. Tell your experience to the world, stop the scam, and unite to make the Department of Education act. Also write a letter to our President detailing your disgust and how he is putting other students in harms way by backing this college owned in part by Goldman Sachs.
We need a lot more people to come forward with their story to get something done. It is one time in our lives we need to stand by each other and reach out on social networks.

Oct 22

The lawyer I have literally dropped the ball after three months because I could not find enough people. If any of you guys out there have a friend or connection to anyone with a degree in law willing to take on this case contact me. Also contact others who have posted to this post. To the woman wondering how they can still get these girls in school, they will get them in online. What these kids and others do not realize is the scant amount of web training is the total failure of this school to provide real world skill for those going into graphic design. Every job list web design, so the field has merged to meet the demands of clients. With only 14 weeks of scant training that is not paired with the book supplied there are real problems. They tell students to get Adobe CC, the book is based on CS5 one time and 5.5 the next, and the same situation arises again where the tutorials cannot be completed due to dropped features within the software. It was a total joke and a rip off. The real thing that got my attention was instructors raving over student work that had multiple errors with spelling and such. I had to wonder if it was a real instructor, or the instructor just didn't care. It really got my attention. I came to realize it just doesn't matter because they don't really care if your up to par. The only thing they care about is scamming the government department of education, and any person with a dream. It is disgusting. I haven't been turned down so many times in my... Show more

dirtybananastudios85

Oct 22 Staten Island, New York

if you guys want the vide and the exact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB-DJGBnhII, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnCykDPPDys, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WahiW-xBRi4 are the videos to view. if the lawyer needs the actual audio of every conversation i had with these clowns ill be more than glad to give it to him/her. dirtybananastudios85@gmail.com

dirtybananastudios85

Oct 22 Staten Island, New York

look on youtube for Ai infomercial and on a channel with Ai scam two shitheads along that name, i have composed and have video and audio of Ai violating civil rights and how they weasel out of things, caught them red handed they expelled me a US Combat Vet for being a whistleblower. i have everything and I'm sure this is what the lawyers need to bring them down. The sick part is they expelled me but never told the VA about it so they got 8k for a semester I'm not there. Don't worry ill get that money back and will see to it that no one attends that school ever again in NYC. give it about 12 -18months from nw and they'll be shut down Im sending dating evidence to all news crews here in NYC trust me they will regret doing what they did to anyone ever, Esp Veterans.

AppalledinMichigan

Oct 22 Michigan, United States

I hope that there are still people out there that are interested in this thread. My daughter and her best friend were getting ready to begin classes the first of the year. I heard many of the same promises that the school had 'options for people like us' as I am on disability and am unable to get a personal or Parent Plus Loan.
My question though is this. On April 1st of this year (2014), AI Pittsburgh was sold and entered into a 3 year lease with the new owner. It stated in the news article that I read that it wasn't up to the school if they renewed the lease at the end of the 3 years but up to the developer and that the developer was looking into options such as turning it into condos.
How are they still signing these kids up for 4 year degrees when the school may not even be there in 4 years? And I also heard that their students don't receive their degree until the school has been paid off in full making it virtually impossible for the students to get very far in their careers.
If there is someone that can answer my questions, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm completely appalled!

jordan

Jun 19

I also attended the AI of Pittsburgh. I was wondering if you still have a pending case and if it is possible for me to join the class action lawsuit. My name is Jordan please contact me by my email which is zhrrocks50@yahoo.com.

DJ

Oct 31, 2013

Please send me your class action lawyer contact, I’m ready to add my name to the lawsuit, to djemery1@earthlink.net and thank you.

Dwight J. Emery

TK

Jul 18, 2013 Cleveland, Ohio

also interested in class action lawsuit. I was misguided into staying in school housing rather than off campus to keep my loans. I still owe $70,000 and I'm not working in that field. HELP!!

wizdolph

Apr 28, 2013 North Canton, Ohio

My daughter attended AIP In Pittsburgh . Was made lots of promises as she is ADHD about help with her classes and tutoring. She was on a GI Bill post 9/11. The still made her get student loans and kept the money from loans and FAFSA because they couldn't justify the refund is what she was told. She was told the credits would transfer and were accredited. They will not transfer and are not accredited. She would have graduated but according to them she ran out of funds. We would be interested in your class action suit.

michaelbahari25

Apr 29, 2013 Wyandanch, New York

Wizdolph I can't see how such even exist that we as Vets or those who use out benefits somehow there's no money hard to believe. But trust the VA is fully aware and is doing the best they can to stop such atrocity from happening. As i stated before NO ONE HUMAN NOR PATHETIC CREATURE WILL TREAD ON ME OR DARE STEAL FROM THE BENEFITS I GAVE MY LIFE FOR OR FROM ANY PERSON THAT IS USING THE SAME BENEFITS AS I AM. :grin . They seem to forget one thing..... ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A *** MARINE.

DJ

Oct 31, 2013

I got a duel kidney/pancreas transplant and this college has tried to rip me off saying my Vocational Rehabilitation Scholarship would pay back a student loan, well they lied, and I’m ready to sue them. They make me very angry at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

Dwight J. Emery
Spring Lake, NC

michaelbahari25

Apr 28, 2013 New York City, New York

im attending this school im a US War Veteran and this school said i ran out of my tuition and yellow ribbon before i started school. they said my gi bill will not cover the degree program. im taking graphic design here at the art sint of nyc.
been here for almost a year expected to graduate sprng 2014 but the other night santiago left me a threatening message on my phone saying that i owe the school10k and there will be a severe consequence if i dont pay them. One thing i will not tolerate is some slimeball to come after me for money i dont owe anyone. 2 will not tolerate anyone trying to steal from what i earned espically from the VA. 3 I wil *** if anyone tries to tread on me. Isserved in two war zones and trust me you dont want to come after a veteran who has PTSD on the moderate to severe side. hopefully your lawyer can help.

the school said they received no money from the VA but i called the VA and they showed what they paid. :grin picked THE WRONG VET TO *** WITH.

Oct 22

Did they tell you that you would have more than enough to cover the total cost of school before starting too. They told me that *** and unfortunately I believed them. I ended up paying the last year myself just to find out the amount of training given on web design wasn't enough. Now I am trying to figure out how to come up with the training needed to get the graphic design job. Worse is the guy who is supposed to help with career resources. He say no there are plenty of jobs for just graphic design. Well pull out the paper, go to the internet sites, and social network a while in the real world. Bull! They are all screaming for a graphic designer with web design and coding experience and training. Biggest rip off on the face of the Earth. What makes it even worse is these colleges have bought our representatives in Congress and our dumb President. They won't move on it either. Maybe if we all collectively write a letter detailing our experience and mail it the same day to the Department of Education, maybe something will be done. They lied about their graduates getting jobs in their field.

Graphic Design suicide

Apr 13, 2013

Yeah I went through AI Online for Pittsburg and well I was told I could get a Ba and my educaitonal funds would cover everything. I got an additional private education loan which my ex husband who I was with at the time co signed to help with all the additional costs of the course and supplies, software, and things needed. I then get told I dont have enough FAFSA left to complete the BA program and not even the Associates without being in debt with the school. I completed the Associates program and have over $1000 owed to the school and over $33,000 with the interest and penalties for delinquency on a private education loan through Wells Fargo and over 50K for the Gov student loans for a Associates degree which would get me nothing and credits in a education that wont be counted or transferred. I hit so much bad luck that my husband left me, I got suicidal and then left the country. I am extremely depressed all the work, time and effort put into it and the money I have a degree that is basically worthless. I wont be returning to America so I do not know what I can do. the loan companies email and the private has contacted my ex husband and I and the defaulted loans are going to collection. I explained I have nothing. No assets, no savings or income because I am disabled. Not sure what I can do but I am hoping maybe my student loans can possibly be erased if its found this school was all fraud and my education is worthless. My email is zydrateaddict84@gmail.com I really... Show more

Star

Mar 01, 2013 Jacksonville, Florida

Please email me at starbucksmaster@gmail.com
I am being severely screwed by the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, I need a lawyer.

destini.richlin

Feb 22, 2013 Johnstown, Pennsylvania

"Well four months ago I got a call from Eric Medsger in the Financial Aid office saying that I had no more funds left with FAFSA to pay for school. When I questioned this because of what was said at admission I was told at this point not to worry they had help for students like me. I am an honor student and a good artist. Well September came and I got a bill for tuition. I called Eric back. I asked about the tuition assistance and was told that they had stopped the program the month before. I said well why did you tell me you had one then?"

The same exact thing happened to me. Then, I had to drop classes to avoid making payments- I just couldn't at the time. I took half the classes, but my account shows me that I've been paying almost the same in tuition. I also have been paying "online fees" above and beyond my tuition for each class. I didn't even notice until last month and I'm done in a week or too.

Halfway through they told me I had run out of financial aid and was no longer eligible for it, so I had to stop going for a bachelors and go for an associates. What the heck?

I'm very interested. If your lawyer decides to move on this, please let me know. Email me at info@visualdestini.com

Thanks!

cas15per

Dec 26, 2012 Roosevelt, New York

I've also went to AI in NYC. They actually had people in our class that couldn't speak any english. I'm interested in your class action lawsuit. How do I get involved?

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.